Peter Scott Hollinger was born on Saturday, March 20, 2010.
He was 8 lbs 1 oz and 19.5 inches long.

My water broke at 2:30 in the morning. This was three days before my doctor was going to induce labor anyway. I had extra fluid during pregnancy and my doctor wanted to induce me before my fluid increased further. Don't worry, Peter was a full term baby -- originally due on the 27th, he was only a week early. I won't go any further into my pregnancy experience. If I do, I am afraid that I will read this later and Peter will remain an only child. The moments I cherished most from my pregnancy were feeling his movements and how he seemed to get the hiccups every evening as I was going to sleep (he still gets them all the time!).

We grabbed our bags and made our way to the hospital. I am glad my water broke instead of being induced. I liked the idea of experiencing some natural aspects of birth. Unfortunately, that was the most natural moment of his birth. I was in labor until 4:00 that evening and the doctor on call insisted on a C-section. Peter was not moving through the birth canal and it was not good for the baby to remain any longer. We were unsure why and we considered using other methods to encourage a natural birth. But an angel nurse told me that often when this happens there is a reason. Reluctantly I agreed. I was prepped for surgery as the nurses put a gown on my husband so he could follow me in. My C-section experience was not as great as many claim it to be. But minutes later I was kissing my baby and headed back to my room.

The C-section ended up being a good thing. We found out later that the umbilical cord was wrapped around Peter's head like a crown, not letting him fit through the birth canal without possible damage. Instead he was born a strong healthy boy. He scored nine's on his apgar test and was already lifting his head in the hospital.
Through it all my husband was amazing. He was exactly what I needed. It was a very emotional time for both of us and we will cherish every memory of this experience together. We also had the continual love and support of our families.

And so our family story begins. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.